The first time I watched TBAHR teaser trailer, I had to watch it again. After the second time, Rich asked, “Well?”
“I like it.” I say.
“And…” Rich prompted. I think he expected me to proceed to a list of criticism (which sometimes happened to other film projects).
I thought of the robots. It was not Transformers.
I thought of the background scenery, but it was not The Avatar.
It was not what I would describe as a Singapore local film.
But what was it?
What was that coloring?
What was that singing? (Mongolian throat singing)
What was that “emo” talk?
Nathanael Ong commented “it’s like halo meets mech warrior, asian style! :O”
Kai Yang (you’ve met him on Friday’s post) had felt, “Final Fantasy with mecha.”
It took me 24 hours to find a category in my understanding where I could file this movie. I happily burst into Rich’s office at eureka, “What do you get if Wong Kar Wai and Steven Spielberg co-directed a movie together?”
“What?” Rich asked. (But it was more like a “what are you talking about?” than a “what is the answer?”)
“And possibly Stephen Chow – if the other two would let him in.”
“What?” Rich asked again. (Now it was a “what have you been thinking about?”)
“This movie!” I exclaimed, “The Boy and His Robot!”
Okay, so I am not good at delivering punch lines. Really, not my forte.
Rich took a moment to figure out what I was eluding to, and finally said, “Oh. That’s nice.” (In which he meant, “That’s nice of you to put it that way.”)
Rewind 24 hours, back to when I first saw the teaser, I got over the shock of unexpectedness and told Rich, “And… it was super awesome cool.”
“What does that mean?” Rich asked me. Well, I will now explain in detail:
1. MY FAVOURITE SCENE had to be the cockpit.
And when KAI did this
I totally wanted to touch too!
And the outside view of the cockpit surprised me with the immensity of the robot.
I want that mecha! What I’d do with one, I wouldn’t know – I can’t even operate a car safely, but let’s not muddle reality into fantasy here.
2. GIANT LASER SLASH is my next favorite scene.
I don’t feel I need to explain this, but it is totally POWERFUL and I want to watch a movie that is full of different types of laser fire and power moves!
3. CUTE BOY RUN sorry, I just think the little boy is so cute, running, laughing, hair flying. Awww… you know?
4. FLYING MECHA ROBOT. Yes, back to serious mecha business, I liked this flying part.
(I note the piloting mechanism is very, very, cool.)
5. I thought to get a second opinion and asked my 4-year-old, who informed me that the BIG BATTLESCENE was the best scene. Typical boy. But he also took some screenshots to show me.
6. And in closing, the CLOSING SCENE is also my favorite. The scene lighting here, Rich had commented, was the exact one the final movie will adopt. It’s beautiful. And I waited for the robot to fly into the perfect spot to take this screenshot.
In conclusion, this teaser was super awesome cool, and I liked it. Of course, the director is my husband, so don’t take my word for it. Go see it for yourself, but when you do, go with your guts on whether you like it, you can figure out why later.